Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Apraxia Awareness Day

According to the website apraxia-kids.org, today is the first Apraxia Awareness Day.

Although I tend to write more about prematurity than CAS, Childhood Apraxia of Speech affects every single aspect of our family. It's why George started preschool last year rather than this year. It's why we've welcomed speech therapists into our home at least once a week, every week, for three years. It's why he won't eat unfamiliar foods or at unfamiliar restaurants. It's why he screamed at me every morning for six months straight.

But . . .

He has apraxia. Apraxia does not have him.

George is happy. Yes, happy! He loves cows, Chik-Fil-A and trains. He loves his Grandpa and his Nono. He likes pancakes and pasta. He is strong willed, stubborn, and loving. He's a typical little brother and a great big brother! He's a NICU graduate who kicked prematurity and took names. He's the reason we host a NICU Thanksgiving every year. He's loving, caring, kind and compassionate. Now that he is finding his voice, he says the most hysterical things! Yes, yes, he has apraxia. It is a part of him but it doesn't define him.

He's the reason I will never take my voice for granted. He's the reason I was given the gift of speech and writing. He's thrust us into the world of special needs and made us all more comfortable around those with different abilities. He's the reason for many tears and so much more JOY. He's the reason the sentence "car get ow" is the best darn sentence I have ever heard.

Yes, Apraxia is his dragon and he must slay it. But amidst that spinney, scaly, snarling dragon is a precious flower, blooming against all odds.

Some of my favorite posts about Apaxia:
(Please note that these posts were written at various times in our journey. What they say may or may not reflect how we currently feel.)

A Voice for My Child: Orginally written for this blog, it was reposted on the Natural Parents Network last March. In it, I reflect on how my greatest strength is my son's greatest weakness.

She Kept Mocking the Way He was Speaking: My oldest son does not have Apraxia but that doesn't mean he is affected by it. At recess, one of his classmates was mocking George, something that upset my oldest.

Heal My Son: Sometimes I still get angry that my son, my baby, struggles so much with something that should come easily to him. I wish he was healed and perhaps healing is taking place through the hands of his therapists.

His Voice: The best first sentence in the world! Written for the Carnival of Natural Parenting.

I Knew it was Coming: The first time a child asked, "Why can't he talk?"

Apraxia Therapy: Different therapies we have used to help our son.

Fine: Related to prematurity but also about apraxia. How I feel when people say, "But he's fine, right?"



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing about your family's journey with Apraxia.

    ReplyDelete