Sunday, January 29, 2012

Overheard: Nono

The kids call my dad "Nono." It's a bit of a play off what we call his mother, my Nana, and (I think) a highly Americanized and mid-westernized version of the Italian word for grandpa. Whatever it is, that's what I decided the kids should call him. (Getting my parents to pick grandparent names was a long and slow process. Joseph was about six months old before it happened. I was on the verdge of naming them "Those That Shall Not Be Named" but I doubt Hallmark maks a card that says, "Happy birthday to my Those That Shall Not Be Named!")

Anyway, Nono is a name little ones can say with ease, but, of course, not Georgie. He calls every close male some version of "Dada" but uses a different tone and inflection for them. So while I would type "Dada" when he is referring to both Daddy, Grandpa and Nono, it sounds much different in person.

This morning, Georgie came up to me and said, "Momo?"

"Moo? A cow?"

"Uh-uh. Momo."

"Nono?!"

"Yea. Momo!"

He said "Nono"!

No comments:

Post a Comment