Monday, January 30, 2012

Menu Plan Monday: Week of Jan. 29 and recipe

Sunday: Garlic Parm Chicken. I had this on the menu for the past week but we had so many leftovers, I didn't bother to make it. We had a leftover night instead.

Monday: Chicken Black Bean Casserole with a side of veggies or salad.

Tuesday: Slow cooker potato soup. I plan on halving the recipe.

Wends: Alfredo chicken and veggie pasta. I have cooked chicken in the freezer to use up and I make my own alfredo sauce from Kraft.com.

Thurs: ?????

Friday: Hamburgers and garlicky fries. We made the fries last week and they were really good! They were a bit too peppery for my kids, so I plan on cutting back on the pepper but they ate them!

****
We had a couple food surprises in the past few weeks. I have made it my mission to get quiona into my family. Cole will eat it plain, with veggies and some meat but the other kids say they don't like it. Adam claims to not like the texture. However, I found this recipe for Broccolie Quiona Casserole and they LIKE IT. They EAT it. And we even brought it to a pot luck and it was gone before we made it through the line. I did make some adjustments to it but the basic recipe is the same.


3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour (white or whole wheat)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
4-5 tablespoons cup mayonnaise (low fat works fine as does miracle whip)
1 1/4 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, etc)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups cooked broccoli (I used the steam in the bag version, cooked in the microwave)

1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or other cheeses

First, cook the quinoa. Rinse 3/4 cup quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear. In a small saucepan combine the quinoa,1 1/2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy. (Note: Keep the ratios similar and make a double or triple batch. Quiona keeps well stored in the fridge and is easily mixed with foods like plain veggies and meat for q quick meal. It's a nice, high protien alternative to rice too.)

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. When metled, whisk in the flour until thick. Add the milk and chicken broth, whisking until combined and thick. Allow to cool. (You can also used canned cream of ___ here. The orginal recipe calls for cream of mushroom or celery. I used the homemade cream of chicken recipe but a plain cream of ____ with one cup of milk instead of the milk and chicken broth would work well.)

Lightly cook the broccoli. I used frozen "cook in the bag" broccoli and steamed it in the microwave. You don't want to cook it well done; if it's still a touch cold, that's okay. It will cook through in the oven. If the bag calls for 4-6 minutes, I cooked it for four.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a shallow (8×8 in or 5-6 cups) casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine the cooled soup, mayonnaise, milk, shredded cheese, pepper, until well mixed. Stir in the quinoa and broccoli.

Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle on a couple tablespoons of Parmesan (or other cheeses) and bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly on the edges. Makes 8 generous 1/2-cup servings.

(End note: I've used miracle whip in a pinch and it turned out fine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment