Thursday, October 14, 2010

Applesauce

ColeBear recently started solids. With Joseph, I made my own purees. With Camille, the child had one serving of mashed banana and then started feeding herself well cooked fruits and veggies. Georgie... ah, the Pordge wouldn't let any food from the grinder near his lips. He WANTED the pureed food, which is when I became a Beech Nut snob.

Cole? Yeah, the Bear gets the jars.

You can slam me all you want. I don't mind pureeing and grinding my own foods but I have so much on my plate now (ha.ha.ha) that I don't have time to throw anything into the baby food grinder. He gets the jarred food to eat and smear all over everything as he will.

But applesauce? That he gets from scratch.

We went apple picking the other week and came back with ALOT of apples. The kids and I set into making an apple crisp and apple sauce. I am lazy and my applesauce "recipe" is sinfully easy. Are you ready for this?

1. Cut up apples into somewhat similar sized pieces. No, I don't peel them. Yes, seriously.
2. Toss into a slow cooker or on the stove in a large pot. Add juuuuust enough water to cover the bottom of the pot so the apples don't stick. You can add more later if you want.
3. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, if you wish.
4. cook until soft.
5. Puree in a blender until smooth.
6. Put into the container of your choice and freeze well.

Seriously. Yeah, the sauce is a little brown and not white like the store brought stuff but it is yummy, local, without added sugar and makes my house smell good. Plus, it looks good smeared all over my kid's face.

Take THAT Mott's!

No comments:

Post a Comment