Thursday, June 5, 2014

My sweet little girl

A few weeks ago, I signed up to bring Communion to people in the nursing home or who are home bound. They put me on the schedule right away and, for a variety of reasons, I took Camille with me the first time.

Now, taking kids anywhere can be dicey and I was a bit worried about her in the nursing home, seeing people she didn't know who may have a variety of issues. I did prep her a little before hand but I didn't have to worry. My sweet girl was a complete angel. She was quiet and respectful and very, very well behaved. She saved any questions she had until the end, instead of asking in front of the residents.

I had a lightbulb moment when we were leaving: she's like this because of her great-grandparents. Every summer we visit Adam's grandparents and every summer she sees people she loves using a walker or who have trouble hearing. She knows how to act around people who cannot see well, cannot move as fast as they once could. She knows how to speak so people who are hard of hearing can hear her. We had to go into the locked unit, for people who are loosing their memories, and she was well behaved even there and was not upset or scared at the sudden, seemingly random, actions of some of the residents. Instead, she said hello, good-bye and wished them a nice day. I know they felt her kindness and compassion, even if they couldn't verbalize it.

Camille said she enjoyed going with me. Whether she enjoyed just being with me or enjoyed visiting with the residents, I don't know. I do think this is giving her a love for the Eucharist and a love for caring for people. Can't ask for much more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment