Friday, December 20, 2013

Recipe: Dairy Free Hot Chocolate/Chocolate Milk Mix

Like most kids, my Herd loves hot chocolate. With George's new food allergies, though, that's one thing I've had to shelve because all of them contain milk. We were pretty bummed and I didn't have time to make my normal chocolate syrup for milks.

With teacher gifts coming up AND the desire for hot coco, I began searching Pinterest for hot chocolate mixes. However, again, many of them have (ready for this?) non-dairy creamer or dry milk in them! I mean, really? Non-dairy creamer is a complete lie; it has dairy products in it. Plus, I never buy that or dry milk so I didn't have any leftover in the house. And, again, DAIRY IS A NO-NO NOW. So frustrating.

But I found that the recipes had some similar ingredients in common. Joe and I got out my super awesome food processor and came up with this recipe.

In the bowl of a food processor, place:

2 cups white sugar
1 cup powdered sugar




About 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon


1 cup coco powder

Slap on the lid and blitz until well blended. I find that this grinds the sugar up well and makes it more likely to dissolve.


After a few minutes, turn off and store in an airtight container. When you're ready to use it, add a few spoonfuls (about 1-2 tablespoons) to 8 ounces of hot liquid and stir well. Really, adding the powder to the liquid is a "to taste" thing.

This is excellent with these corn-free marshmallows!

For teacher gifts, I got small containers at the Dollar Store and filled them with the mix. In others, I put the homemade marshmallows. The teachers really loved them, especially when I told them the mix is excellent in coffee!



I have no idea how to do one of them fancy-smanchy files where you click on print and it open in a new window to print just the recipe. Here it is, without the pictures. Please feel free to print this recipe, Pin to Pinterest and so on, but if you put it on your blog, link back to me! Thank you!

Dairy Free Hot Chocolate Mix by WaldenMommy: Life Behind the Red Front Door

2 cups white sugar
1 cup powered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup powered coco

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until well blended. Store in an air-tight container.

To use, add 1-2 tablespoons (or to taste) of the mix to 8 ounces of hot liquid and stir well. Works well in coffee too!




No comments:

Post a Comment