Monday, September 23, 2013

Recipe: Patsy's Perfect Pot Roast

If I was a good blogger, I would have pictures of this pot roast for easy pin-ability. However, I would make a bad, bad cooking or DIY blogger because I never seem to have photos of the end result and/or the work in progress. But, trust me, this is some yummy, yummy pot roast.

When I was visiting my parents this summer, one of my mother's friends brought over dinner. When Mom said she was bringing pot roast, I was all, "Okay" and shrugged. I mean, pot roast. There are so many jokes about pot roast, why bother to get excited?

"No," said Mom," you haven't had THIS pot roast. THIS pot roast is really, really good!"

And it is? You know the saying "fork tender"? This is BEYOND fork-tender. This is so tender you have to scoop it up with a spoon. In fact, as I told my brother-in-law, you could cut it with a dull spoon. For the rest of the weekend, we went around, moaning with joy, "Poooottttt roooooast."

Because I don't have a picture of the pot roast,
or anyone eating it, you get adorable toothless Georgie.
You're welcome.
This recipe is for one six pound pot roast. If you increase the amount of meat you need, you will need to increase the liquids and the cooking time.

1 six pound brisket
2  10 ounce cans of brown gravy
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1 package of dry onion soup/dip mix
1 small can of mushrooms, optional

Line a 9 by 13 casserole pan with heavy duty foil or place one of those cooking bags in a pan. (If you are going bigger than six pounds, you will need a bigger pan.) In a bowl, mix the gravy, dressing and dry soup mix. Pour a small amount in the middle of the foil or inside the bag. Place the brisket on top of the liquids and pour the rest over it. Seal the bag or, if using foil, tightly wrap the foil around it, sealing the edges.

Bake at 325 for 5 hours or at 300 degrees and one hour per pound of meat. (I made an eight pound roast and cooked it at 300 for 8 hours.)

Drool all day as your house begins to smell fantastic. Serve over rice or potatoes and make sure you have some bread on hand to sop up the juices!

No comments:

Post a Comment