Monday, September 17, 2012

Menu/Recipe Monday: Banana Zucchini Muffins

One of my favorite cookbooks is an old copy of  More With Less Cookbook. I was at a thrift store with a friend when she spied it in a pile of books. She thrust it at me, telling me I had to buy it because she had a copy and loved it. It was less than a dollar, so I really couldn't go wrong!

It's a great little cookbook that explains how to stretch a dollar and has simple recipes for everything. My copy is from the 1970's so it does wax poetic about the virtues of margarine, "salad oil," soy flour and dry milk. I just make some simple changes to what we know now is healthier (coconut or olive oil, butter, etc) and the recipes still taste great and save me money.

Since zucchini grows like a wees, there are, of course, zucchini recipes throughout the book. All we seem to grow in our backyard garden are zucchinis and we always have leftover bananas in the freezer, so I modified the Zucchini Bread recipe to come up with this.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Line a muffin tin with paper or foil liners, if desired. If not, grease the cups well.

In a large mixing bowl, combine:

3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 frozen bananas, thawed enough so you can beat them with the rest of the ingredients
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1 T vanilla

Beat together well.

In another bowl, shift:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 T flax seed
1 tea baking soda
1 tea. baking powder
3 tea cinnamon (I used more because we like cinnamon and I think the whole wheat flour and flax seed mask the taste of spices)

Add to the wet mixture and mix until just blended. Spoon into muffin cups and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

(Check this- I baked these with other breads and the time  might have been different. I know it wasn't anywhere near the full hour it took for the bread, though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment