Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Big news and why I've been quiet

Adam and I just got back from a 5 day trip to Washington, DC. Note I said "Adam and I" not "Adam and myself and the Herd." That's right, the very attached, very natural minded parents left their four young children home (but not alone!) for five days.

This trip really began four years ago, when I was pregnant with Georgie. We went away for our six week anniversary but I was just pregnant with the then-named Waffle and Adam was about to have ankle surgery. We went to a B and B two hours away while Joseph and Camille stayed with my parents.

When we got back we were thrusted into getting the house ready to sell, my pregnancy, Adam's surgery, the NICU, house buying, selling, moving, PTSD, PPD and another pregnancy. In the fall of 2009 I remember begging Adam for a real vacation for just the five of us. I needed to get away and relax. We couldn't afford it then and more stuff kept happening- the apraxia, the SPD, Georgie beginning school. Life was insane and busy.

On somewhat of a whim, Adam began looking at bed and breakfasts and air fare to Washington. He found a cute B and B close to all the musems and shops. It had great reviews and the price was super reasonable. He booked it last May and called me, telling me to pack my bags for March 2012 because we were going away- alone! I called my parents, so excited that they could hardly understand me. When they realized what I was saying, they promised to come and watch the kids.

I was nervous about leaving my children, especially for such a long time. Cole was still nursing but we were weaning at night. He can and does go to bed without nursing but I was still worried about leaving him... and would I be uncomfortable and wind up with an infection on the trip?

Nothing of the sort happened. I had one day when I was a little "fuller" than normal but other than that, everything was great. I did miss the kids but I also enjoyed walking around the city, seeing everything we ever wanted to see. I met up with friends from Korea and we went to Mt. Vernon. We stood in the same spot where we met and marveled at how far we have come in the almot 18 years we have known each other. We went to the Melting Pot for our offical early anniversary dinner, walked some more (I have the blisters to prove it!) and went on a night tour of the city.

We came home to a very excited dog, four wound up children, a tired grandmother (she won't admit it but I think she's beat!) and a toddler who can still nurse. (Weird but whatever!) I'll photo bomb the blog and add details later but Dorothy was right- there's no place like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment