Monday, April 29, 2013

Attachment Parenting 30 Years Later

My mother wearing me in a handmade baby carrier 1979 When my oldest child was born, most people were supportive of my breastfeeding. However, many people cringed when I said I wanted to breastfeed beyond the first year. I was told co-sleeping was unsafe, and people did a double take at my slings. I was attachment parenting, and it was clearly odd. I was told my son would have "issues" if I nursed him for too long, never walk if he was carried, and sleeping in our bed? How DARE we! Yet I knew what I was doing was right for my baby and for us, his parents. I knew he wouldn't be scarred for life due to our parenting style. How do I know? I was attachment parented. I was an extended nursling. My parents co-slept. Yes, I slept in my parents' bed. And (are you ready for this?) they wore me in baby carriers. They did these things with me, and with my younger siblings. Continue reading at Natural Parents Network ››

No comments:

Post a Comment