Monday, July 23, 2012

Menu Plan Monday: Best of Pinterest

I don't know why I bother to cook in the summer. Our AC is old and too small to heat the house. Our trees aren't very big and don't provide enough shade. Since we live on The Surface of the Sun (aka, the Midwest in the summer!) it's hot. Really hot. Like, "I don't want to eat or drink or move" hot.

Okay, so we do eat and I really push the water on the kids but I will admit, I let them eat Popsicles for breakfast. And maybe as part of lunch and snack too. To add to the sugar duo, they live off fruit but I am doing whatever I can to get enough fluids in them.

Of course, our zucchini plants are in overdrive, so we have been eating sliced zucchini with homemade ranch dip. I plan to try Zuchinni Chips this weekend. I made Zucchini Pizza by layering round sliced of zucchini with pizza sauce, cheese and fresh basil. Adam actually begged me to make it again!

Until very, very recently George has been addicted to chocolate milk. The bottle stuff is expensive, especially if you by it organic to avoid HFCS. (I don't care if the bottle is labeled organic, it is still a processed food and bleeech but whatever. The kids like his chocolate milk.) I found a recipe for Homemade Chocolate Syrup and BOY is that stuff GOOD. I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate powder MAN. I could eat it right out of the mason jar!

One of Trader Joe's best selling items is their orange chicken. I don't blame people for buying it as it is quick, easy and GOOD. I throw it in the oven with some frozen veggies and then add cooked rice and the kids eat it up. Only... it takes 2 bags to feed us and so it isn't as  cheap as feeding a family of four, like they advertised. When I found this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken recipe, I immediately pinned it for future use. I tried it this past week and the kids loved it! I too made it a little too orange-y but otherwise, no complaints!

I'm still on the lookout for more zuchinni recipes and maybe some pumpkin too. It looks like the only thing we can grow around here is squash!

No comments:

Post a Comment